Monday, July 1, 2013

This week in Aritao



So yeah, Aritao is awesome!  Its super beautiful.  The only way I can describe it is like tropical jungle.  Its completely 100% amazing.  We climb these densely forested mountains everyday to teach people.  And it is the coolest (temperature) area in the mission so I'm counting my blessings.  We went to Banaue this morning.  It was fantastic!   Elder Maloney bought a 5 foot re-curve bow.  I kind of want to see him try to use it...


So we will start with a funny story.  So when I got here (to the Philippines) we stopped over in the Manila MTC for a few hours and then got on a big Grey Hound type bus to come to the Cauayan.  The bus went all night until about 6 am, however, we had various stop-overs along the way.  One of those stop-overs was in Aritao.  As I walk by the place now, it looks like a nice place.  There is a little restaurant and a rest room, but when I got here (to the Philippines); this was the point when I decided that I was probably going to be kidnapped and murdered in this country.  Its funny to see how my perspective has changed in the last 6 months.  To clarify things; Now, I do not believe I will be kidnapped and murdered in this country. :)  Oh and by the way, there is a cockfighting arena in my area we might be planning a p-day zone activity. haha :)



Second story is more spiritual.  So I don't know if you remember the time in between when I was waiting for my call and when I entered the MTC.  I tried to attend the temple at least once a week, but there was that awesome week when I went Tuesday through Saturday.  I don't think I ever really explained that to you all. So I had never really had a super strong testimony about the temple and to be honest the higher ordinances scared me a little bit because I had no idea what to expect. I knew that temple work was super important for us and for those who have passed on.  And now I can honestly say that other than my family, the temple is the next biggest thing that I have missed while being on a mission.   


In the province of Isabela there are hundreds of languages.  The main language is Tagalog then Ilocono (Ill-uh-con-oh) is the next biggest language.  Ilocono is like the workers language.  They are like all the people who live in stick huts and work in the bukid (farming).  There is a lot of Ilocono here in Aritao and all over the mission the younger generation all speak tagalog but some of the older generation only speak Ilocono so it can be hard to teach.  My plan is to master Tagalog with in the next 4-5 months and then learn Ilocono.  The structure of the languages are all the same but they just use different words so it shouldn't be terribly difficult once I have Tagalog down.
  
So here is an recipe for you to try.

It is call Aroscaldo (sometimes it is spelled differently, it is all the same.)

When I first got here, I hated it but now I love it.  Look it up online and see what you think.


I love you all there will be more pictures to come.  Keep doing great and being awesome.



Sincerely,



Elder Cousin






Zone at Banaue Rice Terrace

Zone at Banaue

Elder Maloney and I in Banaue

Dragon Bicycle at Banaue

FHE in Aritao

Looking out over Aritao

Sleeping arrangement

Study Room

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.