Tuesday, October 29, 2013

I LOVE MY AREA!


So wow.  This week has been awesome.  The work has been fantastic and I love my area.  I don't think I have pneumonia.  I'm feeling better, the cough has just taken some time to get lost.  So I'll start of with the work this week.  Now, back when I was still new, I focused a lot on numbers.  I wont lie, the Philippines is a fairly easy place to have lessons and investigators.  But now that I am a little bit more mature, I have realized that numbers aren't really that important.  They give us goals to set and numbers to track in order to improve but, if we work the numbers come.  However this week our numbers were really good.  We found 12 new investigators. We had referrals.  And we met our goal for street contacting.  So we were able to see some success.  Another really cool thing.  One of the YSAs in our branch wants to go on a mission but was putting it off for school.  We had a lesson with him about not putting his mission off.  He told us he would pray about it and that he really wanted to start working with us.  So we are really excited to help him get out on a mission.  

Elder Franzuela is doing well.  He has adjusted and is just learning.  It is actually really really funny.  I have gained a shadow...  Whenever we are at the store I will put something in my basket and I will notice the wheels turning in his head and then he will grab the same thing.  This morning we went to the gym and instead of wearing my running shoes, I wore my green nikes.  He was in the process of putting his running shoes on but he noticed I had grabbed my other pair so he went and grabbed a pair similar and used those instead.  The funny thing is that it isn't annoying.  I just kind of chuckle at it.

I had a bunch of friends go home this transfer.  It was kind of sad but cool at the same time.  All the people that went home were where I am at now, when I got here.  

One funny thing I have learned about Ilocano people.  So you don't really think about the words you use when you are surprised or scared or in pain.  In English it is typically just a grunt or another noise.  However, in the Philippines they have actual words to express these things.  For pain they say "Aray" (Uh-Rhye).  In Ilocano they use "Ne" (knee) for surprise.  It is a very versatile word.  Another one of my favorite words is "kwan" (as in Michelle Kwan)  Kwan is the most versitile word in Tagalog.  In order to keep up the speed of the language and to be able to stop and think while still talking, one uses the word kwan for any word that does not immediately come to mind.  It can also be used to give obscure directions and to replace words that have to do with Law of Chastity violations.  Very Useful. There is your Tagalog lesson for the week.

Example: Kilala mo ba si Kwan?  Nakatira siya sa kwan doon malapit sa kwan.
Do you know what's his name?  He lives at that place close to that other place.

And that is perfect Cauyan Mission Tagalog


So that is pretty much it.  I love you all.  You are all great.  Have a wonderful week.  I will talk to you soon.
These are the Elder's that were at their year mark when Braden arrived in the Philippines


Cutting of the ties (for Elders) A Mission quilt will be made out of the fabric. 
These Elder are heading home after serving for two years.  
 Elder Cousin will miss this group of Elder's,
He considered them his friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.