Monday, January 6, 2014

Transfers are around the corner

Another week has flown by.  We had a lock down for new year's because alcohol and fireworks don't mix well.  It was fun though.  I then proceeded to get sick so I was out for a few days.  So that is pretty much all that happened this week.  haha  We are planning to get a lot done this week.  I am feeling a lot better now.  We got up and played basketball this morning and it felt really good to get some exercise.  I haven't gotten any recipes yet but I have gotten some ideas.   Elder Maloney and I made an Indian Chicken Curry this week.  It was delicious.  Filipinos have curry but it is typically sweet.  We made a spicy one.  I bought a bunch of spices and am super excited to use them.  I miss your kitchen.  I never worried if we had the right ingredients.  

To answer Dad's question about what language we speak.  The simple answer is that it depends on my companion and my mood.  If my companion speaks to me in English I will respond in English but if other Filipinos talk to me in English I respond in Tagalog.  President Carlos was great at "Only in the Philippines" jokes.  There are many that have to do with English in the Philippines.  Everyone want to learn English but only a tiny percent actually want to put in the time to actually learn it.  Example:  When we roasted the pig, Elder Maloney and I went out to search for a place to buy fire-wood.  We started asking around.  We used perfectly correct Tagalog.  Everybody looked at us like we were nuts.  So we just said fire-wood in English and they directed us to the correct place. .  You might think that is an isolated experience.  That happens almost everyday.  In any other country the people would be thrilled that you learned their language.  In the Philippines nobody cares.

We set some really awesome goals this week because the last 3 weeks have just been hectic.  We are going to make the last week of this cycle the best.  Jairo the 16 year old came back from Manila last night pretty late so we are going to try and goal a baptismal date for the start of next cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.